CONNECTING TO LOCAL BURNERS!
The BEST way to tap into the local scene, to meet people and to connect for playa-bound connections and rideshares is to attend local events.
Sign up to the Vancouver Announce Only list to be sure to receive the main events info.
Please take a read through the following list of ways to connect to the local community.
YEAR ROUND & LOCALLY
- BMV Announce only e-mail list is moderated by the BM Regional Contacts. Subscribers will receive occasional emails with details of upcoming BMV events & important news. As of Jan 12, 2012 : 712 members. Signup at https://lists.burningman.com/mailman/listinfo/vancouver-announce
- NEW! Facebook News Feed Fan Page! If you’re interested in the Burning Man community, want to hear the latest news, hear about local events, news articles, BM videos, etc, this is the Fan Page for you! Expected to be low traffic info source. https://www.facebook.com/vancouverburners
- Facebook Group : this group acts as the community’s main chat list., and is usually fairly active with all kinds of topics of related interest to local burners
(Jan 12, 2012: 1.045 members – Nov 15, 2012: 1.481 members – May 1st, 2013: 1,674 members, June 18, 2014: 3,083 members)
- BMV Google Calendar: click on the “+ Google Calendar” icon at bottom right of page: bit.ly/BMVanCalendar
- Twitter: twitter.com/BurningVanGVIAS
- Couchsurfing Group: www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=7798
- Yahoo Group Chat list : the original chat list has been less active with the convenience of FB: groups.yahoo.com/group/bmvan / As of Jan 12, 2012 : 422 members
- Official Jack Rabbit Speaks email newsletter – A MUST FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS!!!!!
To join: lists.burningman.com/mailman/listinfo/bman-announce
RIDES, TICKETS & TRANSPORT
Any/all commercial or transaction-based posts, such as Buy/Sell/Tickets/Rides/Shwag, should only be posted to the new “Vancouver Burners Marketplace” Facebook Group. PLEASE read the description and note the FILES section for separated threads on specific needs/offers.
- In order to facilitate local connections for rides, tickets & transport of stuff to Burning Man, the following Google Document has been created. Anyone with the link can access and edit the doc, but it is not searchable/public. Please use the appropriate sheet to post your need or offer (Tickets, Rideshares & Transport Needs / Wants) bit.ly/VancBurnersConnect2014
- Burning Man site main rideshare Board: rideshare.burningman.com
Burning Man Vancouver aka BurningVan aka BMVan
Burning Man Vancouver (BurningVan or BMVan), is the name given to the community of Burners in the Lower Mainland and beyond, and includes many burners from neighbouring communities, who attend each other’s events, such as Victoria, Nanaimo, Bellingham and Seattle.
The Greater Vancouver Interactive Arts Society (GVIAS) is Burning Man Vancouver’s not-for-profit legal entity incorporated under the Societies Act of British Columbia. The GVIAS is the backbone of BMVan, which allows us to hold Official Regional Events, obtain Event Insurance, give out Grants, etc. We are always welcoming new members to join committees & get involved. To learn more & to become a member, visit: http://gvias.org or contact the Board at [email protected].
The Burning Man Vancouver community has grown up since 1999 when a small group formed our first email list to keep informed of what others were doing. Since then, burners have gathered together to connect, plan events and camps, teach workshops and share experiences.
Burning Man Vancouver / GVIAS strives to follow the 10 Principles laid out by Burning Man in our events and community projects. We are constantly examining what theses principles mean to us and in what ways we can integrate them into our community and our daily lives.
Regional Network & Regional Contacts
It is often reported that upon leaving Burning Man, participants feel possessed of a desire to make their year-round world feel more like life in Black Rock City. Through the Burning Man Regional Network, these Burners can stay connected to the flame, and bring it into their local communities. We encourage you to learn all about the Regional Network, to get in touch with your local Regional group, and to participate throughout the year.
Vancouver Regional Contacts:
Name/Playa Name: Uber / squishelle
Burning Since: 2001 / 2000
Email: [email protected]
Greater Vancouver Interactive Arts Society aka GVIAS
The Greater Vancouver Interactive Arts Society is a not-for-profit legal entity incorporated under the Societies Act of British Columbia.
The GVIAS is the backbone of BMVan, which allows the community to hold Official Regional Events, obtain Event Insurance, give out Grants, etc. We are always welcoming new members to join committees & get involved. To learn more & to become a member, visit: http://gvias.org or contact the Board at [email protected] Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gvias
The GVIAS is run by our membership that elects a board of directors that is responsible to the members of the organization. The membership is open to anyone to join and elects the board at our yearly annual general meeting. The GVIAS is a participation based organization. We encourage our members to get involved in our events, various committees and broader community.
The mission of the GVIAS is to promote community based participatory arts in the Vancouver, the lower mainland and the province of British Columbia. The GVIAS community is open to anyone who wants to create community based art.
To learn more & to become a member, visit: http://gvias.org/